Thursday, September 22, 2016

Week one with my Newest Angel.

Little Andrew, you've been here a whole week now. You scared me at first. Since you were born with meconium in your amniotic fluid they suctioned your mouth and nose forcefully. Afterward you were in a bit of shock and didn't want anything in your mouth. Nursing started off a bit rough but by the end of day seven you're proving to me that even at a young age you can overcome obstacles. On day four you weighed 6 lb 15 oz and today you weigh 7 lb 2 oz. We're still working on getting your weight back up but I know you'll rally so I'm not too concerned.

You are the most darling little boy. I cannot get enough of your sweet cuddles. You're still new enough that you naturally curl up into a little ball when you rest on my chest. Oh and your little baby skin rolls kill me! When you arch your back there are these tiny little rolls all over. And you're still covered in a little bit of baby hair on your arms and shoulders. I love it! It's always exciting when you open your eyes but it generally doesn't last very long. You are one tired little dude. No worries, I know you're working hard on growing so you can be like your big brother. 

When you cry you're not shy about it. You skipped the newborn cry phase and went straight to full out baby crying. On day three I was so discouraged by all of your crying. You hardly slept a wink that night. This wouldn't have been such an issue except for the fact that you cried the entire time. There was no content wakefulness, just a fussy, sad boy. I thought for sure that my luck had run out and that I was finally given a colicky baby. But the last three nights you have been a champion sleeper and have hardly cried at all. I am so thankful that we just had one rough night this week!

You love your Nana. You fall right to sleep when she holds you. She discovered that you love sleeping on your side and she doesn't even need a paci to get you to pass out. You two hang out until midnight watching documentaries while dad and I try to catch a few zzzzz's before we take our "shifts". 

Today you had the biggest open mouth smiles while dreaming. I wonder who and what you're dreaming about. Milk fountains and clean diapers, perhaps? Nah, I'm sure you're reminiscing about all of your angel friends.

I love the way Daddy adores you. When he changes your diaper (which is almost every dirty diaper) he says "Hi, Andrew" in the sweetest, most smitten voice. It's so obvious that he fell in love with you right from the start. How could he not, though? You're so perfect. 

Vincent and Kate can't get enough of you either. Kate constantly says, "Hi baby!" to you and frequently requests to hold you. Both of your siblings shower you with kisses and get very excited when you're awake. You look a lot like Vince did as a baby but you have Kate's coloring as a baby. With time we'll see if you look totally different or become more like one of your siblings. For now though you're doing a great job at staying happy (and asleep) while they hold, rock, grab, and love on you. Way to rock your job as a third child!

I love you so much, Andrew. In one short week you've made my heart grow three sizes. I cannot imagine life without you. How did I ever think life was normal before you came? You're already one of us and it makes me so happy to know that you're mine forever. I feel like I'm never going to sleep again but you are so totally worth it. Keep being the sweetest thing on Earth, okay?


No comments:

Post a Comment