Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am blessed.

I completed my first clinical day in the ICU.
It was twelve long, tiresome hours.
However, I gained an appreciation for things I normally take for granted:

1. I can walk without anyone helping me
2. I can breathe without support from a machine
3. I can talk and communicate easily
4. For the most part, my life has been pain free
5. I don't need to poke my finger every two hours to manage my bloodsugar
6. I can eat without the help of tubes going down my nose/throat/stomach
7. I'm not confined to a bed
8. My heart works properly without help from any medications
9. If something gets caught in my throat I can cough it up by myself
10. I don't have to live in fear and confusion because I always know who and where I am.

I was drawn to nursing because I love helping people.
The more I see these individuals struggle, the more grateful I become for my own blessings.
I'm thankful that I'm learning how to take my blessings and make a difference in life.
As much as I complain about the difficulty of the nursing program, I absolute love it.
I love the opportunities it provides for me to learn, grow and help others.

Lastly, I want to share the third verse of Lord, I Would Follow Thee.
A phrase of this is posted in the NLC and it reminds me of why I'm working so hard.
It truly summarizes how I feel as a nurse striving to follow the Savior's example.

"I would be be my brother's keeper, 
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary, 
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper-
Lord, I would follow thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment